I was making a turkey sandwich for me and the boys the other day when I wondered, where did the sandwich idea come from? And believe it or not August is actually National Sandwich month! So you better believe I found some fun sandwich facts to share with you:
- The name Sandwich comes from John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, an 18th century English Aristocrat. He ordered meat tucked into two pieces of bread and others began to order, “the same as Sandwich.” Thus, the name was born.
- Americans eat more than 300 million sandwiches every day. This is amazing considering there’s only slightly more than 300 million Americans.
- The world’s largest sandwich weighed 5,440 pounds. Talk about a hearty dinner!
- The average American will have consumed 1,500 PB&Js by the time they’ve graduated high school.
- The most expensive sandwich ever sold was a grilled cheese with an image of the Virgin Mary on it. It sold for $28,000.
- The most popular sandwich in America is a ham sandwich. Which makes sense, its one of my favorites too! Jimmie John’s Slim #1 add turkey!
- Depending on where you live, an oblong shaped sandwich could go by one of many names including hero, hoagie, potbelly, grinder, sub, torpedo, blimpie, wedge and po’ boy.
Man, all this talk about sandwiches has made me hungry–I think I am heading to Jimmy John’s!